Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Ready to put myself out there again...

The name of this post may cause you to be alarmed and think that we are having marital problems, but we are not. We are as happy as ever! This post is about my (Chris) unhealthy relationship with the Utah Jazz.




Their season starts today and I would be lying if I said that I wasn't really excited. I have looked forward to this day since May when I sadly listened to the Jazz lose to the Lakers on the radio. My relationship with the Jazz has been a long and unfulfilling so far. I know they are going to break my heart every year, but I come crawling back with a small hope that this year might be different.



I remember growing up listening to Hot Rod Hundley talk about Horny, Sky Blue Edwards, Big T Bailey, and John Stockton giving that cowhide globe a gentle push and a mile arc. I can still remember when I sat all alone at one of my family's kitchen barstools watching the 1997 playoff game against Houston. I remember almost falling off of that same barstool when John Stockton hit a game winning three pointer to send the Jazz to the finals.



Sadly, I also remember watching Michael Jordan violently push Bryon Russell, along with all of my youthful dreams, aside before nailing a game winning shot.



Every year brings new hope and disappointments. Brooke gets frustrated seeing me get my hopes up again and again. I can outwardly say that I don't care, but I would only be lying to myself. Maybe this year will be the one..

3 comments:

Grandma Sid said...

I never realized the depth of your devotion! It hasn't been a good year for your teams so don't get your hopes up too high:( You got another wedding present today!

Michelle said...

i hope you look like that last picture when you're an old man. we should go to a jazz game together!

McDirty said...

My great hope is that sometime during my lifetime the win a championship. If not, I will die an unhappy man.